libbb/create_icmp6.socket.c: why is entire code conditional?

Jason Schoon floydpink at gmail.com
Sun Mar 26 18:56:35 UTC 2006

On 3/26/06, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday at mindspring.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 26 Mar 2006, Jason Schoon wrote:
>
> > On 3/26/06, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday at mindspring.com> wrote:
> > >

> > > (can we avoid top posting, please?)
> >
> > Why?  That's how my mail client defaults, is there some reason it is
> > wrong?
>
> yes.  and you should do what it takes to override the behaviour of
> your mail client to stop it from doing that.

Okay, what is that reason exactly?  You have just stated that in your
opinion it is wrong.  Have you seen a mailing list or universal Internet
email formatting guideline that specifies that replies must be on the bottom
(buried under potentially tons of replies)?

> I have no problem with some files having conditional code on this
> > option (I have submitted patches that have done just that).
> > However, in the case where an entire file is wrapped in a config
> > option, we should let the configuration system handle it, rather
> > than the preprocessor.
>
> however, as i pointed out, the fact that the entire code from that
> source file is wrapped in a conditional is really just a fluke.  all
> of the other files in libbb/ have the IPV6-related code in the same
> source file as the IPv4 stuff, so this single outlier should not be
> treated as an exception.
>
> rday

Okay, either way.  I thought since you were suggesting 2 options that you
wanted opinions from others.  It appears that you actually believe one of
them to be correct, and have already submitted a patch, so there really
isn't any discussion to be had here.