thoughts on reorganizing BB menuconfig structure?

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Sat Mar 25 20:31:40 UTC 2006

On Saturday 25 March 2006 6:39 am, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Mar 2006, Rob Landley wrote:

> > > ok, i see.  now it becomes clearer.
> >
> > I noted in the readme that we replace bzip2, coreutils, e2fsprogs,
> > file, findutils, gawk, grep, inetutils, less, modutils, net-tools,
> > procps, sed, shadow, sysklogd, sysvinit, tar, util-linux, and vim.
> > (I note that this list should have gzip and patch added to it.)
> >
> > We don't have directories for all of those packages.
>
> ok, so what does all this mean?  that there *is* some value in
> cleaning up the BB config menus?  that there *isn't*?  i'm confused.

There's certainly some value in cleanup.  What cleanup, I'm keeping an open
mind.

This is a user interface issue.  The existing packages are somewhat arbitrary,
but familiar to a lot of people.  People want to use busybox to make Linux
systems, and some of them learned via Linux from Scratch or some such, and
are thinking in terms of what existing packages busybox is replacing.  And
some people are thinking in terms of functionality, or just looking at a
preinstalled system and trying to cherry-pick applets they need.

There are sort of three desirable groupings: 1) Show me all applets sorted by
package (with the remainder in a "busybox" package"), 2) Show all applets
sorted by functionality, 3) show all applets in alphabetical order.

With the current menu system, it's hard to do more than one of these.