[patch] minor shrinking of allnoconfig with suid handling enabled

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Wed Mar 22 21:33:46 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 22 March 2006 12:26 pm, Bernhard Fischer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> attached patch saves a very few bytes off allnoconfig with SUID and
> SUID_CONFIGFILE enabled while also using proper style (whitespace
> cleanup).
>
>    text    data     bss     dec     hex filename
>    5864     388      32    6284    188c busybox.oorig-4.0
>    5860     388      32    6280    1888 busybox
>
> Opinions?

Actually the no-whitespace patch still had a large chunk of whitespace
changes, but I think I followed it.

Feel free to check this in first thing tomorrow (or after 1.1.1 goes up
tonight).  Not before then please, these -rc releases always seem to squeeze
patches out of the woodwork.  Just put up -rc2...

> PS: only compile-tested.
> PPS: landley, i know that you'll dislike that this patch still uses the
> preprocessor to filter out some stuff.. :)

I'll live.  The compiler should be smart enough to figure out that static
functions that aren't used go away.  The gcc 4.x ones probably are, and maybe
in the 1.2 timeframe we can stop doing this sort of thing.  But for now, it's
the best available option.

The _real_ advantage of busybox is that small size and a modular nature (or at
least the ability to make functionality compile-time optional) is taken into
account when we design the applets.  This sort of trick to shrink the code is
dependent on compiler versions, and tends to become obsolete with time...