question about setting routing

Michael S. Zick mszick at morethan.org
Mon Mar 20 13:48:55 UTC 2006

On Mon March 20 2006 06:20, Dariusz Zmokly wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've just bought Pentagram's Cerberus router. It contains BusyBox
> v0.61 pre (2005-09-23).
> It has 4 ethernet ports. To the first port I've plugged network cable
> from my wireless internet modem. So I have three ports left.
>
> When I plug a cable from my computer into second port I can use
> internet. BusyBox acts just as a bridge. So I get an IP address via
> DHCP request from wireless modem.
>
> What I'm trying to do is to configure BusyBox as a firewall with NAT.

Firewalling is done by the kernel your router is running, not busybox.
So you will need the iptables commands - which may/may not be available.

An alternative (which I perfer) is to do the firewalling in your
internet modem - depends on make/model of course.

The reason I perfer this solution is that your firewall comes up
when the modem does.

Mike

> However I've problems with it ;) | logged into a BusyBox and issued
> command 'udhcpc' and it worked. BusyBox got an IP address from modem.
> But for some reason it can't ping wireless modem (this modem is
> pingable from my computer when I run 'iptables /renew' on it).

That affects your 'computer' only - you actually have at least three
computer systems here - the one in the modem, the one in the router,
and the one you are typing on.

Mike