mkfd.msdos

Jason Schoon floydpink at gmail.com
Wed Mar 15 21:26:00 UTC 2006

The main reason not to include servers such as these (I also use dropbear),
is that there often isn't much of a gain to be realized by including it in
Busybox.  Unless you are going to start modifying the server code to make
use of shared Busybox functions, there really isn't much gain to be had by
adding it to the combined binary.

Now, if you go the route to make major modifications to the server to make
use of shared Busybox code, what happens when the next big release comes
out?  Are those changes easily applied on top?  Who maintains those
changes?  The upstream project is not likely to accept the changes to use
Busybox functions, as they are then dependant on Busybox.

I agree with the idea that Busybox is intended as the swiss army knife of
little utilities, with the focus on keeping them as small as possible.
Servers tend to be focused on increased functionality and features, rather
than size, so keeping them seperate makes sense to me.

Feel free to shoot holes in any of this logic though ;-)