Out of Memory error while building latest SVN

Jason Schoon floydpink at gmail.com
Fri Mar 3 17:43:20 UTC 2006

I think this has been discussed previously on the list, but I'll admit
I don't understand make well enough to understand.

I updated from SVN this morning, and attempted to build a snapshot.  I
promptly get the following 2 messages and my build stops:

/home/schoonjb/busybox/e2fsprogs/Makefile.in:72: FIXME: change .c to
include their stuff relative to /home/schoonjb/busybox/e2fsprogs
make: *** virtual memory exhausted.  Stop.

Even removing e2fsprogs from the equation, I end up with the virtual
memory message.

I am running on a slightly older Slackware box.  Here is an output from free:

Mem:        513956     484556      29400          0       9976     155836
-/+ buffers/cache:     318744     195212
Swap:       506008      14116     491892

I am using GNU Make 3.80.

Any help from the Make gurus would be appreciated.