possible variations for remote building?

Bernhard Fischer rep.nop at aon.at
Thu Mar 2 16:55:17 UTC 2006

On Thu, Mar 02, 2006 at 11:29:11AM -0500, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

>  before i get into detail, what are the acceptable variations for
>building busybox in a directory separate from the source directory?
>(i can see how it's *supposed* to work in the top-level Makefile but a
>number of tests i've run seem to show that remote building is broken.)
>
>  a pointer to a URL covering this would work just fine, thanks.

O= doesn't work as it would (currently) break make-3.80.

Specifying multiple MAKECMDGOALS, i.e. both config and non-config ones
doesn't work since we cannot skip-makefile anymore (would brake
make-3.80), so we cannot guarantee that the (now ditched) second
invocation of make sees all stuff it needs for this to work.
Consider that we have to deal with:
-) completely empty builddir
-) only .config in builddir
-) .....
-) fully setup builddir

Supporting all these variations while trying to be backward compatible
to broken/non-feature complete binaries of make(1) is doable and there,
but if you want to also throw in mixed target-goals for each of the
variants above, it gets really cumbersone.

mkdir /obj/ ; cd /obj
make -f /src/busybox/Makefile defconfig
make

works for me. See INSTALL