dual licensing for libbusybox

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Mar 2 08:10:53 UTC 2006

In message <44066CD0.9010904 at netgate.com> you wrote:

> Just saying "linking" isn't clear.   proprietary programs staticly
> linked against GPL licensed libraries will be considered a derived
> work.   Those same programs *dynamically linked* against GPL licensed
> libraries are not.  (Otherwise, Oracle would be 100% open source now.)

It makes zero differene whether you link statically  or  dynamically.
In  both cases the application must be released under GPL. That's why
LGPL exists and is  used  for  things  likt  the  standard  C  /  C++
libraries etc.

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Quote from a recent meeting:   "We are going to continue having these
meetings everyday until I find out why no work is getting done."