Resolving the licensing issues.

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Wed Mar 1 22:02:29 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 01 March 2006 4:19 pm, Jim Thompson wrote:
> IANAL, but there are legal issues with this approach.   And yes, I
> understand the trade-off in increased complexity for you and Erik .vs a
> cleaner database and files full of bits of paper that will probably
> never be used.
>
> Just don't... think you're completely in the clear, OK?

Let's see: legally, we're no worse off than the Linux kernel.  In terms of
actually writing and merging code, we're way better off than The Hurd.

I'm pretty happy with this, actually.

> This is the wrong list for this

Agreed.  Which is why I didn't respond to the rest of your message here.

> (*) not a big loss in terms of technical talent.  Close examination will
> reveal that esr tends to "over claim" what he's contributed.  (Some of
> the evidence is on the smallworks.com weblog.)

You are aware he's a personal friend of mine and that the server landley.net
is on is in his basement?  (Not that I agree with him on everything either,
but when you start bashing someone out of the blue who hasn't even been
mentioned in the thread, I tend to suspect a just a touch of bias.  Just
sayin'.)