[CFT][patch] buildsys touch-up and standalone applets

Bernhard Fischer rep.nop at aon.at
Wed Mar 1 09:17:10 UTC 2006

On Tue, Feb 28, 2006 at 01:24:40AM -0500, Mike Frysinger wrote:
>some nitpicky stuff from just glancing at the patch ...
>
>+  export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="$(pwd)"
>+  ./busybox
>
>the quoting is unnecessary, and generally `` is more portable than $() ...

ok.

>+top_srcdir:=$(shell cd $(dir $(firstword $(MAKEFILE_LIST))) && /bin/pwd)
>+    PACKAGE_OUTPUTDIR := $(shell cd $(O) && /bin/pwd)
>
>is the absolute path a good idea ?

Yes. It's needed for building out of tree.

>+ifdef V
>+  ifeq ("$(origin V)", "command line")
>
>do you really need to check that it came from the command line ?  also, might
>be nice to have this just before that:
>+ifdef VERBOSE
>+ V := $(VERBOSE)
>+endif

Shouldn't be strictly necessary to check if it's from the command line,
i'll remove that.

I think we should make sure that V == VERBOSE, so if both are given, V
wins. ok?

>+# Workaround for bugs in make-3.80
>+# eval is broken if it is in a conditional
>
>patch for the issue is here in case anyone cares:
>http://viewcvs.gentoo.org/sys-devel/make/files/make-3.80-conditional-eval.patch
>
> CROSS           =$(subst ",, $(strip $(CROSS_COMPILER_PREFIX)))
>+#")
> CC             = $(CROSS)gcc
>
>what's the point of that additional line ?

It helps vim with getting the syntax highlightning right (we have the
same in uClibc, fwiw). I'd prefer to keep this.

>+SED            = sed
>+AWK            = awk
>
>s/=/:=/

It really should be ?= in order to:
SED=/my/sed make

I'm not sure if make-3.80 (let alone make-3.79.x) support ?= proper,
though. I'll check that..

>+# generic rules
>+%.o:  %.c ; $(compile.c)
>
>you should add some rules for %.i and %.s generation too ;)

/me nods. Will do

Can i count that as an ACK from your part?
Thanks!