Headers including headers and precompilation

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Sat Apr 1 00:32:13 UTC 2006

On Friday 31 March 2006 6:11 pm, Paul Fox wrote:
>  > >> Also, as it stands, you can only build defconfig (i.e. all applets)
>  > >> with a C99 compiler. What's the smallest somewhat C99 compliant
>  > >> compiler which is free?
>  > >
>  > >tinycc:
>  > >
>  > >$ size tcc
>  > >   text    data     bss     dec     hex filename
>  > > 109202     588   42624  152414   2535e tcc
>
> and it supports how many architectures?

Considering that Fabrice Bellard based qemu on the observation that once he
split tinycc to have multiple backends, he could then do multiple front-ends
as well and replacing the C parser with a machine language parser in -run
mode got him 95% of the way to an emulator.  (Although what he was originally
trying to emulate was Windows code to run it on Linux...)

http://www.winehq.com/hypermail/wine-devel/2003/03/0686.html

Anyway, my guess would be that tinycc supports the same platforms qemu does,
if it hasn't fallen too far behind.  That would be x86, x86-64, arm, mips,
ppc, and sparc.

I'm afraid I haven't had much time to follow it in the past couple years.  I
know Fabrice's attention is mostly on QEMU these days...