The FSF's being stupid again, it seems...

yan yan at seiner.com
Thu Jun 29 16:14:32 UTC 2006

David Daney wrote:
> Rob Landley wrote:
>>
>> Who said anything about changing the license?  I'm disagreeing with
>> the FSF's interpretation, which seems to disagree with the actual
>> license text.  I _like_ the GPL (version 2, anyway).  I'm just
>> annoyed at the FSF for discouraging its use.
>>

> At times many have had similar frustrations.
>
> Big picture view: For the most part the FSF has been hugely
> beneficial.  However, whenever you have more than two
> people/oganizations interacting there will be occasional disagreements.
>
> On this particular issue, I think it best to withhold judgment for a
> while so that we can see its effects.  The FSF has a fairly good track
> record on making decisions the further its goals.
I guess for me the issue is this:

I have built a toolchain for a particular hardware platform I work on.
I am not the primary developer, nor the hardware manufacturer, just a
user.  I built the toolchain to address some isues that were present in
the toolchain provided by the manufacturer.

I have posted the toolchain on my website; binary only as anyone can
build it using Dan Kegel's tools.  It's more a convenience than anything
else.  It's been up for nearly 6 months; since then I've had not a
single request for sources.  And from monitoring the maillist, people
are using it.

But the way I read v3, I also have to make available a) all of Dan
Kegel's stuff, b) a source tarball for everything that goes into it.

I've also written a few things for a particular buildroot environment.
So if I make those binaries available, I also have to provide all of the
source.  Never mind that the "application" consists of scripts that
download the source from other sites....

That's absurd, and for me, it will lead to removing those files from my
website.

I've had a hard enough time convincing my company to go open source.
Adding the burden of hosting gigabytes of sources and the associated
overhead of keeping a website up to date every time we release an update
may convince mgt to pull the plug on opensource altogether and go with a
closed, proprietary solution.

Just my $0.02....

--Yan