command line editing and line length problems with serial port

Paul Fox pgf at brightstareng.com
Thu Jun 29 13:06:15 UTC 2006

 > >This really sounds like a bug in your xterm.  Can you try it from a text
 > >console (ctrl-alt-f1) or a different xterm (the gnome or kde ones, or the
 > >actual "xterm" command if you're already using one of those...?)
 > >

 > I can reproduce this in Hyperterm on a windose box with terminal
 > settings of a vt100 with 132 column mode.

busybox cmdedit can only handle long lines properly if it knows
how wide the screen is.  if you use a 132 column emulator, but linux
thinks the window is only 80 columns wide, i suspect you'll get
that behavior.

try running "stty cols 132" (to tell the kernel, and hence busybox,
the correc size) and see if the problem goes away.  of course, your
test lines will need to be much longer.

i suspect all these reports are caused by mismatched line lengths.

paul
 paul fox, pgf at brightstareng.com