The FSF's being stupid again, it seems...

Bernd Petrovitsch bernd at firmix.at
Thu Jun 29 09:02:08 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-06-28 at 17:40 -0400, Rob Landley wrote:
[...]
> What's important to me is that people can _get_ the source code to reproduce
> the binary they've got.  (Nobody's letting anyone off the hook for that.  It
> must be available.)  And it can be tricky to make sure you've got the _right_

IANAL and I don't know what lawyers read in that license, but to me the
(exact) source code must be "<somewhere> on the Net reachable for the
next 3 years" and there is no requirement that the <somewhere> must be
under the same domain, on the same server or under my control (and I
technically won't call a contract with some server admin "under my
control", but for lawyers it is probably enough to have such a thing).

If that <somewhere> (remember: an upstream distributor) vanishes, I'm in
trouble and I have to find another working <somewhere> (e.g. a mirror)
or I loose all rights immediately (i.e. I habe to "remove" the
distribution of the binaries too).
And if my upstream distributor vanishes, I have certainly more severe
problems with my derived distribution than "source code of unmodified
upstream packages not right available". Hell, my own distribution is
more or less worthless .....

	Bernd
          Embedded Linux Development and Services