The FSF's being stupid again, it seems...

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Thu Jun 29 02:23:51 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 28 June 2006 6:16 pm, David Daney wrote:
> Nobody is forcing you to use GPL software. But if you do, you should not
> be surprised if there are negative consequences for not fulfilling your
> obligations under the license.  It is not that different from many other
> things in life in that regard.

Section 3(b) of the license says that offering to give the source to people
who ask for it (good for 3 years after the distribution) is good enough.  You
don't need to put up your of FTP site with a 24/7 mirror.

And what I'm saying is that satisfying people's requests for source code is
good enough for me.  3(c) should apply to everybody unless A) your users
can't reliably get the source from there for the 3 years, or B) it places a
noticeable burden on your upstream provider.  Which in the case of Mepis and
Ubuntu, it clearly _doesn't_, and what the FSF is doing is _insane_.  Which
is nothing new, really...