svn commit: trunk/busybox/libbb

Johan Adolfsson Johan.Adolfsson at axis.com
Sun Jun 25 21:27:19 UTC 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rob Landley" <rob at landley.net>
To: <ldoolitt at recycle.lbl.gov>
Cc: "Mike Frysinger" <vapier at gentoo.org>; <busybox at busybox.net>; "Johan
Adolfsson" <johana at axis.com>
Sent: Sunday, June 25, 2006 10:06 PM
Subject: Re: svn commit: trunk/busybox/libbb

> On Sunday 25 June 2006 1:34 pm, ldoolitt at recycle.lbl.gov wrote:
> > Guys -
> >
> > On Sun, Jun 25, 2006 at 12:20:26PM -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> > > or you provide a build option like we do with every other utility
> > > [ ] Support all stty speeds
> > >
> > > turned off -> support only standard/common speeds
> > > turned on -> support all speeds
> >
> > Wild idea time: if "all speeds" is too crufty to put in the
> > busybox binary, could it read a mapping file in, say, /etc/stty.speeds ?
> > That may or may not be a size savings, the ascii parsing routine
> > might be bigger than a small binary table.  But at least it gets
> > the platform-dependent stuff out of "our" binary and source code.
>
> I already suggested a way to get the platform-dependent stuff out, while
> giving users the functionality to select nonstandard speeds, without
bloating
> the binary.
>
> Rob

If you are still considering the user defined ioctl stuff I suggest you
put you're efforts to something more productive.
The shell script (or whatever) to translate a baudrate given by an end user
to the correct ioctl values would be bigger than putting the table in
busybox.
You would instead move some bytes out of busybox but add bloat to the system
as a whole - probably forcing everybody caring about baudrates >115200 to
have their own stty/speed_table implementation making merging and providing
patches a hazzle.

/Johan