svn commit: trunk/busybox/libbb

Johan Adolfsson Johan.Adolfsson at axis.com
Sun Jun 25 18:28:29 UTC 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: <ldoolitt at recycle.lbl.gov>
To: "Mike Frysinger" <vapier at gentoo.org>
Cc: <busybox at busybox.net>
Sent: Sunday, June 25, 2006 7:34 PM
Subject: Re: svn commit: trunk/busybox/libbb

> Guys -
>
> On Sun, Jun 25, 2006 at 12:20:26PM -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> > or you provide a build option like we do with every other utility
> > [ ] Support all stty speeds
> >
> > turned off -> support only standard/common speeds
> > turned on -> support all speeds
>
> Wild idea time: if "all speeds" is too crufty to put in the
> busybox binary, could it read a mapping file in, say, /etc/stty.speeds ?
> That may or may not be a size savings, the ascii parsing routine
> might be bigger than a small binary table.  But at least it gets
> the platform-dependent stuff out of "our" binary and source code.

If we can't find a treatment/argument enough to relieve Rob of his
"defineophobia", I think I would prefer a config option and the
"support all speed" option would mean a new speed_table_autogen.c
file created based on the headers available at buildtime
(no #ifdefs needed :-)

Having stty support all the speeds define by the kernel isn't unreasonable,
and a fallback to use setserial ioctl() to possibly support additional
baudrates would be nice as well although I'm not sure how usable it would
be unless every there some surgery in the serial drivers for each arch/hw.

/Johan