(fwd) busybox mount -a fix.

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Sun Jun 25 16:11:58 UTC 2006

On Sunday 25 June 2006 12:47 am, Paul Fox wrote:
> why are you inventing new behavior for the mount exit code?  granted,
> it's odd behavior, and perhaps gratuitous on the part of the original
> author, but i see no point in changing it arbitrarily.

Or I can just do 0 for success and nonzero for failure, which is pretty
standard everywhere, and is also what it's currently doing.  The rest is just
passing back extra information which can be trivially ignored.

>  > So you want to support bits 32 and 64, but not bits 1, 2, 4, 8, or 16?
>  > Why do bits 32 and 64 make sense in isolation?
>
> i think it would be great to support all 7.

I don't.  Those return codes aren't even standardized as far as BSD:
http://www.hmug.org/man/8/mount.php

This is something util-linux dreamed up, and I was unaware we were going for
bug for bug compatability with them rather than functional compatability.  (A
return code for user interrupt?  Why?  And _how_ do you have a return code
for out of memory, the oom killer kills your program unless you've exhausted
the virtual address space which is kind of hard for something like mount to
do, unless you're talking about adding special nommu support to mount which
it doesn't otherwise need...)