[busybox] v0.5 of busybox single-applet iterative build script

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Fri Jun 23 20:33:53 UTC 2006

On Friday 23 June 2006 1:23 pm, Michael S. Zick wrote:
> On Fri June 23 2006 11:49, Rob Landley wrote:
> > I'd prefer to treat them more individually.  CONFIG_EFENCE and
> > CONFIG_DMALLOC are both CONFIG_DEBUG entries, for example.  Some are
> > probably
> > CONFIG_FEATURE_BUSYBOX (hideously long as that prefix is...)
>
> Perhaps they could be shorter, and still meaningful (or at least
> guessable)...
>
> CONFIG_BB_FEAT
> CONFIG_BB_DEBUG
> CONFIG_BB_EFENCE
> CONFIG_BB_DMALLOC

We have a CONFIG_DEBUG prefix already that's filtered out by defconfig.
CONFIG_DEBUG_EFENCE and CONFIG_DEBUG_DMALLOC are both debug features, and
naming that that means they would automatically be filtered out by defconfig.

> Expanding on that, gives compile time things...
>
> CONFIG_CC_PREFIX
> CONFIG_CC_CFLAGS
> CONFIG_CC_XFLAGS

Those are going away because they shouldn't be in the .config file.  They're
part of the build environment.  If you want to build the same busybox for
x86, arm, and ppc, you should be able to use the same .config file.  Hence
the .config.mak stuff that just went in, which I need to document this
weekend.

> It should not be hard to guess that...
>
> BB == BusyBox
> CC == C Compiler
> - etc -

CONFIG_DEBUG_* and CONFIG_FEATURE_* already exist.  We're discussing similarly
tagging applets and the remaining symbols.