svn commit: trunk/busybox/libbb

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Wed Jun 21 04:33:20 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 20 June 2006 10:18 pm, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> On Tuesday 20 June 2006 22:00, Rob Landley wrote:
> > even 115k is barely standard for a serial port
>
> not really ... as others pointed out, serial ports are pushing the limit
> higher and higher on the embedded side

Or various devices pretending to be serial ports.  Yeah, I'm convinced on that
point.

> ive seen requirements from customers for using the serial port at 512k
> stable

Sigh.  Everything except powerpc, alpha, and sparc do this in quite a standard
manner...

My next day to work on BusyBox is thursday, lemme think about this until then,
ok?  I'm still tempted to truncate the lookup table at the portable values
and have some kind of raw passthrough mode.  (That way if more of these
suckers are added in future, we won't have to care.)  Alternately, there's
the question of how much granularity they need at the higher speeds; is
500000 enough or do 460800 and 576000 really add value?  How about 921600 and
1152000 around 1000000 before going to the nice smooth 500000 increments?  On
the one hand there's the urge to just expose everything the kernel can do,
and other the other hand the kernel has a really disgusting interface here
that's an interconnected series of historical relics.  Yes, I used to do
serial programming under DOS as a teenager, why do you ask? :)

> > I don't even know who danf is.
>
> neither do i, that's his nick in the bug tracker
> http://bugs.busybox.net/view.php?id=910

Ah, good to know.  Thanks.

> -mike

Rob

P.S.  Ok, It seems I can't leave it alone.  I just looked up asm/termbits.h on
my Red Hat 9 qemu image and lo and behold, it has all the #defines up to
B4000000.  And that says to _me_ that we can use those without an #ifdef
(since that's the oldest Linux build environment we still support).
Non-linux platforms that want to use this code should probably put #defines
for these values in platform.h, which is where this kind of ugliness belongs.
Not in the applets themselves.

Right, with the #ifdefs dealt with that just leaves the size, which isn't
_that_ bad and I'll deal with it on thursday.

I'm going to bed now.

Still Rob