strange behaviour from 'mount -an'...

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Wed Jun 21 03:57:49 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 20 June 2006 8:51 pm, Andre wrote:
> --- Andre <armcc2000 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > # cat /etc/fstab
> > proc    /proc   proc   defaults           0 0
> > tmpfs   /rw     tmpfs  defaults,size=8M   0 0
> >
> > (/proc and /rw directories both exist).
> >
> > /sbin/init runs /etc/init.d/rcS and the first thing rcS does is run
> > '/bin/mount -an'. Although both /proc and /rw get mounted, mount
> > outputs the following error message:
> >
> > mount: Mounting tmpfs on /rw failed: No such file or directory
>
> The attached patch fixes the bogus error message. Please review.
>
> (I assume trying to stat "proc" or "tmpfs" instead of knowing better
> is a design decision rather than a bug... ?!?)

It's a bug, just not the one you thought it was, and subtle enough nobody's
actually hit it yet. :)

On an unrelated note, svn 15455 just redid the error handling in a bigger way
due to a patch from Paul Fox.  Could you please confirm it still works right
for your test?  (I go fall over now.  Bedtime...)