possible scm change for busybox dev

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Mon Jun 12 22:13:03 UTC 2006

On Monday 12 June 2006 3:55 pm, Bernhard Fischer wrote:
> >> That may be easy seeing as Bernhard seems to behave a lot like Andrew
> >> Morton.
>
> Not really.
>
> >Preparing a bunch of patches to feed into my tree?  Not really, no.
>
> The kernel is maintained in a monolitical manner. One person can write,
> everybody else can not.
>
> The repository as it is now is setup so that several people can write.
>
> Rob is usually not (having the time or interrest or whatever) applying
> other peoples stuff nowadays.

Entirely because I haven't had time, not because of a lack of interest.

When I first started at Timesys they hadn't put me on a lot of non-busybox
projects.  The last three weeks have been taken up almost exclusively with
non-busybox projects.

Moving to pittsburgh hasn't helped either.  I have a 2.5 hour round-trip
commute on an unpleasant bus that is exhausting to the point that when I get
home after two bus rides and about three miles of walking I really don't feel
focused enough to do much with busybox.  My weekends have all been spoken for
(this past week in maryland with no internet access, the weekend before that
working on a paper with Eric Raymond that still hasn't been released, the
weekend before that I had off and worked on busybox, the weekend before that
I was at a Penguicon concom meeting, the weekend before that I was at Eric's
working on the previous draft of that paper...)

> I ment to try to help get bugs fixed and
> bugfixes applied so we could have a nice release.

And I appreciate this.  I'm just trying to figure out a way to take advantage
of it better than I have been.

> Rob usually is not
> looking at the bugtracker, and if he is, he _seems_ to ignore most of
> the stuff in there. There are plenty of bugs about mount and sort, both
> of which he knows better than i do, so i won't look at those, but leave
> them to him.

I haven't had a chance to look at it at all in over a month.  I just plain
haven't had time.

> Looking through the rest was something i did in order to help and not to
> disturb anyones patch-sets.

Yup.  In fact I asked you to help, and in case I haven't said it thank you for
doing so.

Tomorrow, I get to focus on catching up.  I'm looking forward to this...

> I closed about 10 bugs or so, sorted out some duplicates. I'm not too
> keen on fooling around with the bug-thing, so i can of course leave all
> of them to you, if you prefer.

Don't let me stand between you and the bug thing.  I can't stand it either. :)

> Also, if i send patches to the list for comments, there is usually no
> productive discussion about the stuff i intend to change or the way i
> propose. Due to this lack, i normally leave patches locally, wait some
> time and then question/revisit the change and only then apply the stuff
> to the repository.
> If patches or proposals merely get ignored (resp. receive no reaction)
> for a long time (more than let's say 2 or 3 weeks), then they are
> usually just lost which is an unfortunate situation.

One of my heap-o-messages to deal with is the reference to the perl script
that harvested patches from the list automatically...

But right now, I need to catch up on existing work.