making "test" an ash built-in

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Thu Jun 8 12:33:07 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 07 June 2006 5:04 pm, Paul Fox wrote:
> the total size hit is around 300 bytes (on x86).
>
> any objections if i commit this?

No objections.  I plan to obsolete the current ash code as soon as I can
figure out the right blackmail strategy to get a large enough consecutive
chunk of free time, but while people are still using it...  (You can't
_possibly_ make it more cluttered.)

> diffs below, but for clarity, the diff of the old coreutils/test.c
> and the new libbb/bb_test.c is shown separately from the rest of
> the patch.

One suggestion though: rather than moving the coreutils/test.c into libbb,
might it make more sense to move it into the shell directory instead?  (Along
with its config option?)

I'm thinking that all the traditional shell builtins might belong in there
(echo, true...), along with one switch to say something like "provide
non-builtin versions too" for all of them.

I'm not committed to this, just pondering.  I don't like putting an obvious
applet body in libbb like that, even if it is used from two places.  I'd
rather put both uses is one directory and have them shared that way, or
perhaps do the "two applets built from one source" trick like with
freeramdisk/fdflush...