Inetd will not start telnetd

Fierst, Timothy M timothy.m.fierst at lmco.com
Mon Jun 5 23:54:59 UTC 2006

I'm using busybox-1.1.2.

I cannot get the inetd built into busybox to start telnetd (also builtin
to busybox).

If I build busybox with the standalone version of telnetd, everything
works fine.

My inetd.conf entry:

telnet stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/telnetd telnetd

When I start inetd by the following command:

> inetd

Then I enter a:

> netstat -ant

Which shows no daemons at all.  When I run telnetd manually the same
netstat command shows

telnetd listening on port 23.

My /etc/services file looks like:

telnet 23/tcp

I'm using binutils-2.16.1, gcc-3.4.4, and glibc-2.3.5.  Running on an
m68k mvme16x box.

I am mounting devpts, and have it config'd in on busybox (hence telnetd
standalone working).

Yes, I know ssh is a better option, but at this point I'm going with
telnetd, at least until

I can verify my inetd is working.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.  I'm at my boiling point trying
to figure this out.

Sorry if this isn't actually a busybox problem, I will be trying
non-busybox versions of inetd and telnetd tomorrow.

Thanks,

Tim