problems with hdparm in svn 15237/15261

Ken McGuire kenm at desertweyr.com
Fri Jun 2 18:05:02 UTC 2006

Rats! I screwed up and didn't send this to the list, sorry, I'll blame it on
my mailer.... ;>)

The endian issue is still present on ppc in svn 15261. hopefully it can get
dealt with befor the 1.2.0 release.

On 30 May 2006 at 15:58, Rob Landley wrote:

> On Tuesday 30 May 2006 10:54 am, Ken McGuire wrote:
> > Hi Rob,

 <snip>

> > Grepping for BLKGETSIZE64 in the busybox source, it seems to be defined
in
> > several places, but not in hdparm.c. Grepping more generally it is
defined
> > in linux kernel headers in linux/fs.h in both 2.4 & 2.6.
>
> It seems like you've enabled large file support in busybox, but your libc
> doesn't have it.  (I'm guessing you're using uClibc and you've disabled
large
> file support?)

I'm only using uClibc for actual embedded stuff, in this case I'm just
building in/for the native x86 environment, using the libc that comes with
this old knoppix 3.3 system. I normally have it on in both places for
embedded builds.
 The defconfig for busybox has large file support enabled, how might I check
whether my libc has it enabled?

/me compiles again...

hmmm..
 If I turn it off large file support in busybox I get the same error.

(make clean busybox)

Maybe there is more to this than meets the eye...

> Possibly what we should do now that we've got platform.h is just detect
> whether or not it's there and enable the CONFIG option behind the scenes.
> (Then if you disable long file support in uClibc, busybox builds without it

> but otherwise uses it...)
>
> > 2) on ppc (ubuntu 5.10) with gcc 4.0.2
> >
> > "make clean defconfig busybox"
> >
> > builds without errors and the applets run, but hdparm produces incorrect
> > results.
>
> Joy.
>
> >         Firmware Revision:  ADOC7AA6
> >         Firmware Revision:  DACOA76A
>
> Sigh, the classic nuxi problem.
>
> http://www.catb.org/jargon/html/N/NUXI-problem.html
>
> I'll take a look this evening...

 Thanks...

> > Looking at the Model & Serial # fields, I'd bet this is an endian
>
> Yup.  Should be easy enough to fix, though...
>
> Rob
> --
> Never bet against the cheap plastic solution.

   ...ken...