Error in creating linux single floppy

Michael S. Zick mszick at morethan.org
Thu Jun 1 13:05:05 UTC 2006

On Wed May 31 2006 23:20, gopi chand komma wrote:
> Hai,
>
>     I have been succesful in creating linux single floppy.

Congratulations.

>     now i am
> trying to build the same thing into a usb memory stick.

An interesting idea.
You probably will have to make changes to the kernel configuration.

> when i am
> doing this i am getting the follwing error while booting from the usb
> device.
>
>                ds : no socket drivers loaded.
>                kmod : filed to exec /sbinmdprobe -s -k block-major -1 error=2
>                VFS : Cannot open root device "ram0" or 01:00
>                please append a correct "root" boot options
>                 kernel panic : VFS : unable to mount root fson 01:00
>
>    HOW TO LOAD SOCKET DRIVERS ?

The above looks like kernel boot problems, not really busybox issues.

> Please kindly send me some solution to the above problems

The thing to consider here is that everything required to access the
usb memory stick is built-in, into the kernel.

It is the same as the requirement of having the boot filesystem built-in.
The usb things are normally built as modules, since you need them to boot,
you will have to re-configure them to be built-ins.

You might try asking google, see if it can find some directions for bootable
linux memory sticks.

Mike