stty echo in ash

David Byron dbyron at hheld.com
Mon Jul 31 23:19:32 UTC 2006

On Monday 31 July 2006 11:49 am, Rob Landley wrote:

> Well, to use netcat's new -f option as a minicom replacement, I go:
>
> stty 115200 -F /dev/ttyS0
> stty raw -echo -ctlecho && nc -f /dev/ttyS0
>
> Does that help?

No, but I bet it's doing something different for me than it does for you.
Or maybe that we're talking about two different things.  I still use minicom
to connect from my linux desktop to my target running busybox so I don't
understand the part about replacing minicom.  The version of nc I've got on
my desktop doesn't support -f.

I grabbed the head of the source tree, configured and built it.

On my target, when I execute

~ # stty raw -echo -ctlecho && nc -f /dev/ttyS0

what I type is still echoed to the screen, but when I hit enter I get a
carriage return, no newline and no output, as though what I type isn't being
treated as a command.  When I hit ctrl-c, I see a dot (.).  The way I got
the shell back was to telnet in and kill it.

Feels like I'm missing something obvious.

-DB