init will not execute inittab lines that start with null::

Thompson Harmon [US], Stanley W. Stanley.Harmon at sperry.ngc.com
Mon Jul 31 21:32:31 UTC 2006

Rob,

   I tried rw as a kernel option... no change in results.  Furthermore, I used my new kernel (2.6.11) and boot loader (syslinux) with my old buildroot/busybox filesystem from a year ago and it works fine.  Please note that both filesystems (new one is based on busybox 1.1.3) have the rw equivalent as the first execuable "null::/bin/mount..." line in the /etc/inittab file.  You can find this code in the example inittab for busybox.  Oh, and I also made sure I had switch_root available for my 2.6 kernel in case pivot_root (for kernel 2.4) was not used by busybox init.

On another note, I will check with the linux sites too.

Stan

P.S. Sorry for the top post - it's an evil blackberry thing.