inittable and login problem

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Mon Jul 31 19:18:09 UTC 2006

On Monday 31 July 2006 3:12 pm, Lei Sun wrote:
> I do have /dev/ttyS1 and /dev/ttyS2,  I haven't checked permission bit
> on /dev/ttyS0 yet.

I asked about tty1, which is not the same as ttyS1.  Your inittab below
mentions tty1, which is the virst virtual terminal.  ttyS1 is the first
serial device.  They are not the same thing.

> I found out that if i directly run  "login" in shell, or I telnet into
> the box, I got login prompt, but I got "incorrect password" error
> after I typed password, however, I can FTP into the box , it accept my
> ftp's password.  I assume ftp and telnet should share the same
> password (it's not shadowed). But they behave differenctly ,  I guess
> this has something to do with the login program.
>
> Any suggestion?

I don't know enough about your setup, and I don't know anybody who still uses
telnet with cleartext passwords on a production server so I haven't got much
personal experience with it, but last I heard it still worked for other
people.

Have you tried getting it to work in a chroot environment and sticking printfs
into the code?

> Thanks!
> lei

Rob