Preparing for 1.2.1. [Was: Re: busybox Digest, Vol 12, Issue 77]

Natanael Copa natanael.copa at gmail.com
Fri Jul 28 10:02:08 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-07-28 at 08:13 +0200, Yann E. MORIN wrote:
> Hello all!
> Rob,
>
> > From: Rob Landley <rob at landley.net>
> > Subject: Preparing for 1.2.1.
> > Ok, so there's a fixes.patch in the download directory for 1.2.1.  Is there
> > anything that isn't in there that should be?  I'd like to get 1.2.1 out the
> > door in the next day or two.
>
> As Natanael suggest, r15734 would be nice to have as well. It does introduce a
> new config option to activate the workaround, but no new feature, it's only a
> bug fix that is a must have for module auto_loading in some cases.

My first thought was that this is a clear bugfix, but after a second
thought, it can be considered as a a feature. (support for modalias
autoloading). Since it does introduce a new config option an upgrade
from 1.2.0 to 1.2.1 would need reconfiguring.

I think its a good thing that no new config options are introduced in a
stable branch.

But if this is a bugfix that is so important that it should be included
(like security fixes), then remove the config option.

I suspect that if this bug/feature can be fixed without increase the
size we could drop the config option and then it could be considered as
a clear fix and not a new feature.

I doubt I will be able to find out how and test that its good before
1.2.1 anyway. The question is if r15734 should be reverted and fixed
"properly" so it can be included in 1.2.2.

--
Natanael Copa