e2fsprog makefile syntax

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Wed Jul 26 15:12:22 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 19 July 2006 5:48 am, Roberto A. Foglietta wrote:
> Hi to all,
>
>  this patch fix the e2fsprog makefile syntax which is not compatible
> with autoconfig/make < 3.80 or better with RedHat 3 Enterprise
> Edition.

Unfortunately, with this patch the e2fsprogs directory gets rebuilt every time
you run make.  (The dependencies are all wonky, somehow.)

I'm in the process of rewriting mke2fs, and when I'm done with that I'll
tackle chattr and the rest (everything but e2fsck).  This means most of the
makefile in that directory is going _away_, so the fact the current stuff is
completely broken and none of the makefile experts know how to make it do
whatever it's doing portably back to RH9 and RHEL3 shouldn't be a problem by
the time 1.3.0 rolls around.

(I'd poke more at fixing this, but I'm making it just go away instead.)