dynamic dns update

Jason Schoon floydpink at gmail.com
Tue Jul 25 02:03:59 UTC 2006

On 7/24/06, Paul Fox <pgf at brightstareng.com> wrote:

> step #3 can be done either by the client or by the DHCP server.
> (well, some DHCP servers can do it.  probably not all.)
>
> in any case, the busybox DHCP client can't currently do this.

The busybox client does have the necessary option to tell the server to do
this.  It is (currently) undocumented in the usage, but if you specify a -F
<domain name> the client will pass the information to the server and tell it
to an update.  This option is currently hardcoded to have the server do the
actual update.  If you wanted the client to do it instead, you would have to
modify that code and add the mechanism to update.

There are IETF drafts and/or RFC's discussing how the DHCP to DNS update
should occur.  I have never written this code myself, as I have always been
concerned with the client side, and the servers I worked with always
supported it already.

(i've never studied or used the busybox DHCP server, but i