dynamic dns update

Paul Fox pgf at brightstareng.com
Tue Jul 25 01:21:05 UTC 2006

 > Hoping someone else has put the pieces together for this....
 >
 > I'd like to send a dynamic DNS update with the results of a dhcp client
 > query from my embedded target running busybox/uclibc.
 >
 > >From http://www.uclibc.org/lists/busybox/2003-January/007702.html:
 >
 > > It sounds like you want a Dynamic DNS Update:
 > >
 > > 1) busybox DHCP asks for an IP
 > > 2) DHCP server gives it a hostname, IP, netmask, defaultroute, etc
 > > 3) DHCP updates DNS server's dynamic zone, saying:
 > >    "client-12-31 is now 192.168.1.33"
 > > 4) DNS server stores and offers to clients the new A and PTR record:
 > >    "client-12-31.dynamic.abccheese.com IN A 192.168.1.33"
 > >
 > > This can be done in an RFC-compliant manner.
 >
 > Anyone know how to do #3 so that my DNS server will do #4?

step #3 can be done either by the client or by the DHCP server.
(well, some DHCP servers can do it.  probably not all.)

in any case, the busybox DHCP client can't currently do this.

(i've never studied or used the busybox DHCP server, but i
suspect it can't do any of it either.  but you were probably
asking about the client.)

paul
 paul fox, pgf at brightstareng.com