Removing dependency to libgcc_s.so

Michael Hunold hunold at linuxtv.org
Mon Jul 24 10:25:08 UTC 2006

Hell Rich,

in my environment, I have other applications besides busybox that all
depend on libgcc. So I'd really like to have a solution that fits all.

on 22.07.2006 03:19 Rich Felker said the following:
> IMO no. In my libc implementation I already rm libgcc and replace it
> with tiny code in libc. Applications like busybox should not be using
> low level hacks to work around whatever the system does.
>
> If a particular user wants to disable the dependency on libgcc_s, all
> they need to do is tell gcc to use the static libgcc (in which case
> only the needed functions will be linked) or add -lfoo to their
> LDFLAGS (where libfoo.a is a library replacing the needed functions
> from libgcc). There's no need for BB to do this for them and create
> extra nasty layers of low-level hacks.

In the ideal case, I want to dynamically link all applications.

Wouldn't it be possible to add libfoo as part of uClibc and provide
support to get rid of libgcc to all applications using uClibc?

> Rich

Best regards
Michael.