CROSS_COMPILE

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Wed Jul 19 22:01:33 UTC 2006

On Monday 17 July 2006 11:27 am, Paul Fox wrote:
>  > On Mon, Jul 17, 2006 at 05:11:49PM +0200, Thomas Fr=F6hlich wrote:
>  > > Why did someone erase the configs USING_CROSS_COMPILER &
>  > > CROSS_COMPILER_PREFIX in revision r1559?
>  > >
>  > > I think this was a nice feature!
>  >
>  > I agree.
>
> i believe the idea is that you now set this, and other local things
> like CFLAGS, i a file in the top directory called .config.mak.
>
> i agree that the other seemed more convenient.
>
> but mostly i think that
>     a) the .config.mak file should not be a hidden file, and

1) It shouldn't be a _required_ file, which it isn't.
2) It's named after .config

>     b) an empty copy of config.mak should be included in the
> 	source, with comments describing its purpose, and a
> 	couple of example lines to make the required format
> 	and likely contents obvious to the person configuring.

You don't actually need to use it.  I just set the appropriate environment
variables on the command line, ala:

CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux- make

or

make CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-

And yes, I need to do a proper changelog.  After OLS... :)