CROSS_COMPILE

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Wed Jul 19 21:59:49 UTC 2006

On Monday 17 July 2006 11:16 am, Richard Braun wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 17, 2006 at 05:11:49PM +0200, Thomas Fröhlich wrote:
> > Why did someone erase the configs USING_CROSS_COMPILER &
> > CROSS_COMPILER_PREFIX in revision r1559?
> >
> > I think this was a nice feature!
>
> I agree.

We switched to work more like the linux kernel.
Specify "CROSS_COMPILE=powerpc-linux-" or whatever, and it should work.  (If
it doesn't, let me know, and I'll fix it.)

The busybox .config file is about feature selection.  It's configuring
busybox, not configuring your build environment.  If you want to build
busybox for x86, arm, ppc, mips, having the cross compiler configuration in
your .config file entangles stuff that shouldn't be.

If you really really want it in a file, you create a makefile snippet
called ".config.mak" and include any configuration stuff in there you want.
(It's in makefile format, not .config format, but in this case they should
work reasonably alike.)