How to get crontab and crond running properly?

Sean Richards richardss at lvl.co.nz
Sat Jul 15 01:18:42 UTC 2006

Hi,

Have built a system using Busybox 1.2. Have used 'make 'defconfig' so
everything is included. System boots and runs fine but I can't seem to
get 'crontab' and 'crond' working properly. To start using cron I have
made the crontab directories with

$ mkdir -p /var/spool/cron/crontabs

Then tried to edit a crontab with

$ crontab -e

This fails with `exec: No such file or directory`. Looking in
`/var/spool/cron/crontabs` I can see an empty file 'root' and a file
'cron.update' with the single entry 'root'. Creating an entry by hand
such as `*/1 * * * * /bin/date > /var/tmp/crontest` does nothing.
Checking with ps shows crond to be running. I have set a default profile
in `/etc/profile` with

export SHELL=/bin/ash
export VISUAL=/bin/vi
export EDITOR=/bin/vi
export HOME=/root

Any help getting this setup would be appreciated.

Cheers