[SVN] maintenance branch for 1.2.x

Yann E. MORIN yann.morin.1998 at anciens.enib.fr
Mon Jul 10 21:12:10 UTC 2006

Hello all,
Rob,

I was looking at the subversion tree and saw no branch for the 1.2.x series.

Having such a branch would allow:
 - to apply bug fixes, new features and enhancements to trunk, and to trunk
   _only_,
 - back-port relevant fixes, and fixes _only_, to the maintenance branch,
 - the pending patches for <put-rev-nr-here> directory to go away as they
   would be available directly from the repository.

Well at least, that's the way I'm used to work: once a release has been cut
out of the trunk, then create a branch for it to be maintained, name a
maintainer for that branch, and enjoy the fun work on the trunk, while still
keeping an eye on what's goin' on there. The linux kernel folks do it that way
(not that they have the absolute knowledge of what is best :-) ), and it seems
to work quite well.

I know maintaining is not real fun, 'cause interesting things only happen
in the trunk, and maybe you don't want to spend too much time on this, which
I honestly understand for having the exact same problem at work. That's why
I think that you could have a little help from someone you appointed to
specially handle maintaining a revision (not that you are doing a bad work at
all, I do really appreciate the time and efforts you, and others, devote to
this project). Then, less time maintaining a series means more time for you
to handle your more important projects you've been having pending for ages...

If you decide that you want such a maintainer for the 1.2.x series, then I
offer my services. I'm not a heavy nor an active contributor, but I have a
bit of time I can devote daily (well nightly I'd say), and helping in that
way would be my little stone to BusyBox.

Of course, should someone else be more suited for the work, or willing to do
the job, please speak up! :-)

Regards, and long live BusyBox!
Yann E. MORIN.

PS. Sorry for the long mail, and all the blahblah in there, but I'm tired, and
    when I'm tired I tend to be a little verbose and not go to the point. And
    don't forget English is not my mother tongue and I have a rather limited
    vocabulary... Oh shit I'm doing it again. Bed time.
YEM.

| +0/33 662376056 | Software  Designer | \ / CAMPAIGN     |   ^                |
| web: ymorin.free.fr | SETI at home 3808 | / \ HTML MAIL    |  """  conspiracy.  |