insmod module.ko

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Fri Jul 7 01:54:01 UTC 2006

On Thursday 06 July 2006 9:37 pm, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> On Thursday 06 July 2006 21:32, Rob Landley wrote:
> > >
> > > yes, after changing .config you always need to run `make clean` first
> >
> > I have a todo item to fix that, but it's way down the list...
>
> i always wondered how the kernel was so smart about it
> -mike

It's in the kernel docs:

http://www.mjmwired.net/kernel/Documentation/smart-config.txt

Our current config infrastructure has copied part of that, but not all of it.
I just submitted an improved miniconfig patch to linux-kernel, and my next
task is to resync the busybox config stuff with the current kernel .config
stuff.  Rewriting the dependency checking comes after that, but _also_ after
finishing my mke2fs/gene2fs/tune2fs/chattr rewrite (but I'm not touching
e2fsck right now) and bbsh, and finishing up the sed nul fix and the passwd
thing.  _Then_ I can worry about taking on a new project.  (Which will
probably be a rewrite of fdisk, but oh well.  And then I've got to untangle
the archiver shared infrastructure, add cpio creation and maybe mkisofs, dig
up the old bzip2 rewrite I did...  Oh, and tackle the TODO list...)