any value in configuring minimum password length?

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Mon Jul 3 16:56:01 UTC 2006

On Sunday 02 July 2006 12:06 pm, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> i'm assuming something like the following would be sufficient, yes?

I consider it kind of pointless overkill, but if you really feel the need
could you please make it depend on CONFIG_NITPICK?

I'm trying not to bury users in a paralyzing number of choices.  The reason
for a minimum password length of 6 (in conjunction with the password strength
checks) is due to things like cryptographic strength analysis that most users
really aren't going to do themselves.  I don't want to _deny_ users choices
either, but we do give them the complete source code.

Figuring out what should be a config options is a balancing act of presenting
some users with unwanted options vs forcing others to hunt through the source
code to get what they want.  CONFIG_NITPICK is an attempt to compromise
somewhere in the middle.