Fwd: Re: [klibc] klibc and what's the next step?

Bernhard Fischer rep.nop at aon.at
Mon Jul 3 13:16:05 UTC 2006

On Mon, Jul 03, 2006 at 02:30:12PM +0200, Denis Vlasenko wrote:
>On Monday 03 July 2006 13:30, Bernhard Fischer wrote:
>> On Mon, Jul 03, 2006 at 11:52:24AM +0200, Denis Vlasenko wrote:
>> >Just FYI: kernel folks are talking about small userspace
>> >which will start before root fs is mounted, and they are
>> >mentioning busybox:
>>
>> The sum of on-disk bytes for their versions are 33848 Bytes.
>> Busybox with the belowmentioned featureset (against glibc, so it's
>> bigger than it needs to be and would be if using klibc) looks
>> approximately like:
>>
>> $ size busybox
>>    text    data     bss     dec     hex filename
>>   21345     644    8336   30325    7675 busybox
>> $ ls -l busybox
>> -rwxr-xr-x 1 bernhard users 23488 Jul  3 13:25 busybox
>>
>> Currently defined functions:
>>         busybox, cat, chroot, dd, false, halt, insmod, ln, mkdir, mkfifo,
>>         mknod, mount, pivot_root, poweroff, ps, reboot, rm, sleep, switch_root,
>>         true, umount, uname
>
>Well, I'm afraid we heed shell also, and IIRC our shells
>are not in particularly good shape.

well, lash works reasonably well for me. It lacks support for 'for'
'while' etc, though. lash adds about 7k to the game.

>BTW, I do not see my own posts to the list.
>I just checked on busybox.net: sending of my own mails
>back to me is not disabled there...

They're still queued on morris and will probably be delivered during the
next few hours. I don't have caps to drop mail morris is trying to send
off to a non-existing domain, so we have to wait until it's smtpd gives
up on them..