svn commit: trunk/busybox/networking

Paul Fox pgf at brightstareng.com
Sat Jul 1 19:51:43 UTC 2006

 > > >-#if 0
 > > >-#define debug_noise(fmt, args...) printf(fmt, ## args)
 > > >-#else
 > > > #define debug_noise(fmt, args...)
 > > >-#endif
 > > >
 > > > /* Forward declaration */
 > > > struct interface_defn_t;
 > >
 > > Whoever that may be..
 > > Doing stuff like this is nonsense, to say the least.
 >
 > um ... no, it isn't, since the notion of removing "dead" or "unused"
 > code in the source tree has been discussed more than once before, and
 > no one seemed all that upset by the suggestion at the time.

that code is clearly not "dead".  it's someone being lazy.  (i.e. all they
have to do to run on debugging is change a single character in
the source file.)  if you don't want it to be "#if 0", change it
to "#if DEBUG", but don't remove the entire thing.  if you do
that, you might as well go through the file and remove all the
invocations of that macro, too.

 > code.  if an individual maintainer wants to include that sort of
 > thing, then they should at least do it using a meaningful directive,
 > such as
 >
 > #ifdef DEBUG

exactly.  fix it for them, don't rip it out.  it will make it harder
for the next person to debug, and, in general, i'd say we want
busybox to be easier to debug.  (and frankly, i don't care about
a centralized scheme -- no one ever debugs more than one applet
at a time, and local schemes are usually sufficient.)

paul
 paul fox, pgf at brightstareng.com