/dev/random and passwd

Devin Bayer devin at freeshell.org
Tue Jan 31 17:07:46 UTC 2006

Tito wrote:

> Hi,
> maybe it is a good idea to add a config option to the passwd applet to use
> /dev/random or /dev/urandom ?

If you do, please make it a global option, so that all applets that do or will
use random numbers can share the config. Currently this also includes udhcp
and e2fsprogs.  I personally think urandom should always be used because if
there isn't enough entropy available blocking on /dev/random isn't doing anybody
any good.  But at least don't make me change the configuration in multiple places.

Thanks,
Devin Bayer