busybox httpd protocol violation

Julien MARBACH jmarbach at quelisid.com
Wed Jan 25 21:56:41 UTC 2006

Hello there,
It seems that the httpd of busybox 1.0 violates the HTTP protocol when
transmitting the status line. According to the RFC of HTTP1.1 the status
line must be terminated by CRLF , wich is coded with a "\r\n" sequence
in C. But busybox httpd just send a "\n" at the end of the status line.

This is not a problem most of the time, very few clients raise an error
on this but some does : I'm currently using Micro$oft visual studio and
when I try to GET a wsdl file from my busybox httpd, Visual studio
complains about a protocol violation on the status-line and refuses to
get the file. I've sniffed the HTTP packets with ethereal and I spotted
the missing \r in the status line. The rest of the HTTP header is OK.

I think this is a problem of the different signification of  \n in
widows and linux environments, but  \r\n has the same meaning in both of
them.

What do you think?

Regards,

Julien