busybox e2fsprogs on powerpc

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Mon Jan 23 16:03:21 UTC 2006

On Monday 23 January 2006 09:38, Ken McGuire wrote:
> On 22 Jan 2006 at 15:35, Ken McGuire wrote:
> > I'll give it a try,
>
> <snip>
>
> > Unfortunately, the change to e2fsbb.h results in an undefined reference
> > to ext2fs_swap_super (and a bunch of others). So, I guess busybox's e2fs
> > stuff isn't quite ready for prime time. ;>(
>
> Turns out that the Makefile.in in e2fsprogs was missing swap.c and native.c
> from the EXT2FS_SRC section ( maybe others as well).
> Busybox now builds with the e2fsprogs, however it still produces a
> byteswapped file system.
>   More pokeing required...   ...ken...

Mike Frysinger did the initial import of a lot of that stuff.  (Vladimir did
several cleanups to it but they don't appear structural.)

If you can get this work I'll happily take patches.  I haven't got a PPC
system to test it on, and although I could theoretically run one under QEMU I
haven't cross-compiled an image to run yet.  (<barbie>Cross compiling is
hard!</barbie>)

In theory, all mke2fs or tune2fs are really doing is block writing a few
packed and ordered structures to disk at known offsets.  That's not brain
surgery.  (Now fsck, that one may be brain surgery.  But mke2fs isn't.)  The
current implementation is full of sound and fury signifying not much I can
see, but cleaning it up would take a while and I have many other things I
should do instead this week.