Well, it looks like busybox won't be using GPLv3.

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Mon Jan 23 05:03:51 UTC 2006

GPLv2 says:

> c) If the modified  program normally reads commands interactively when run,
> you must cause it, when started running for such interactive use in the most
> ordinary way, to print or display an announcement including an appropriate
> copyright notice and a notice that there is no warranty (or else, saying
> that you provide a warranty) and that users may redistribute the program
> under these conditions, and telling the user how to view a copy of this
> License. (Exception: if the Program itself is interactive but does not
> normally print such an announcement, your work based on the Program is not
> required to print an announcement.)

And we don't.  We used the exception.  Busybox is small, and we're not going
to include unnecessary verbiage.

> c) If the modified work has interactive user interfaces, each must include a
> convenient feature that displays an appropriate copyright notice, and tells
> the user that there is no warranty  for the program (or that you provide a
> warranty), that users may redistribute the modified work under these
> conditions, and how to view a copy of this License  together with the
> central list (if any) of other terms in accord with section 7. If the
> interface presents a list of user commands or options, such as a menu, a
> command to display this information must be prominent in the list.
> Otherwise, the modified work must display this information at
> startup--except in the case that the Program has such interactive modes and
> does not display this information at startup.

No escape clause.  You, the developers, must modify your program to include a
"praise stallman" option, even for "make allnoconfig".  And when we compile
make standalone, each and every executable must be able to praise stallman,
or it can't be licensed under GPLv3.  Even if the developer doesn't want ot
do that.

That would be a "no".