busybox e2fsprogs on powerpc

Ken McGuire kenm at desertweyr.com
Sun Jan 22 22:35:00 UTC 2006

I'll give it a try,

The e2fs code is very similar to that from e2fsprogs-1.38.

On 22 Jan 2006 at 15:54, Rob Landley wrote:

> On Sunday 22 January 2006 14:23, Rob Landley wrote:
> > Once I've got that, I can compare the two and see where busybox is screwing
> > up, and hopefully fix it.
>
> And I've got it.  And every single field is backwards.  Oh yeah.
>
> Wow, this ext2 source is a hideous mess.  Randomly tracing through the
> #includes I found closefs.c #includes ext2_fs.h which includes ext2_types.h
> which is a single line #including linux/types.h (so why does that file even
> _exist_?  Why not #include the other file directly?)
>
> And of course over in ext2fs.h we find htis comment:
>
> /*
>  * Ext2/linux mode flags.  We define them here so that we don't need
>  * to depend on the OS's sys/stat.h, since we may be compiling on a
>  * non-Linux system.
>  */
>
> And this is the same source code that's doing "#include <linux/types.h>".
>
> Beautiful.
>
> Would anybody who has already touched the ext2 code like to venture an opinion
> as to why we have both ENABLE_SWAPFS and EXT2FS_ENABLE_SWAPFS?  What's the
> difference between the two?

This part is identical to that in ..../e2fsprogs-1.38/lib/ext2fs/ext2fs.h

The variables ENABLE_SWAPFS and EXT2FS_ENABLE_SWAPFS are used all over the
place in both busybox & e2fsprogs-1.38. the difference is that ENABLE_SWAPFS
is set during the configure process of e2fsprogs-1.38 but not anywhere in
busybox, untill your patch.

Unfortunately, the change to e2fsbb.h results in an undefined reference to
ext2fs_swap_super (and a bunch of others). So, I guess busybox's e2fs stuff
isn't quite ready for prime time. ;>(

> Ok, here's a wild guess at a patch.  It's ugly, but it might work.  Care to
> give it a try?
>
> Rob
> --
> Steve Ballmer: Innovation!  Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word.
> I do not think it means what you think it means.

   ...ken...