More fun building busybox under Red Hat 7.3.

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Fri Jan 20 21:38:34 UTC 2006

On Friday 20 January 2006 14:20, Bertrand Mollinier Toublet wrote:
> Rob Landley wrote:
> > So I expected that building under the 2.4 kernel, or with gcc 2.96 might
> > cause things to go "boing".  But it didn't get nearly that far because
> > the version of sed on Red Hat 7.3 _sucks_.
>
> Rob, on a related by different note, I am having trouble building
> Busybox under Red Hat 8.0 and Red Hat 9.0 due to apparently a make
> issue: the build process ends up failing with something like
>
> make[2]: *** No rule to make target
> `|/path/to/busybox-1.1.0-pre1/e2fsprogs/blkid', needed by
> `/path/to/busybox-1.1.0-pre1/e2fsprogs/blkid/cache.o'. Stop.

That's approximately the error I saw that made me disable the e2fsprogs
subdirectory.  That and fuser.c were the two things that wouldn't build on
7.3.

> Note the spurious '|' character in the target that can't be made...

Yeah, I see that.

> On top of you head, have you run across similar issues, and have you
> been able to solve them?

This is a makefile issue, and makefiles are my achilles heel.  The last guy to
significantly touch this file was Bernhard Fischer, I think.