How to install Red Hat 7.3 into a file under QEMU as a regular user.

Stephen Warren swarren at wwwdotorg.org
Fri Jan 20 20:34:12 UTC 2006

Rob Landley wrote:
> On Friday 20 January 2006 13:57, Stephen Warren wrote:
>> A small note on this.
>>
>> If you're running an x86 distro with a new version of gcc (4.0.x and up,
>> I think) then qemu won't build do to some nastiness with qemu attempting
>> to force variables into registers and there not being enough registers
>> to fit them into. An example if Fedora Core 5 (test).
>
> Are there enough registers on x86_64?

Having just read something about x86_64, I would say yes, there are
enough registers in the architecture.

However, I'm not familiar enough with the qemu code to know whether it
builds OK under gcc 4.x for x86_64.

It's quite possible it'll all work, since the
assign-variables-to-registers code is obviously target arch specific,
and I have no idea if qemu even has equivalent code for x86_64, or if it
does, how many variables it attempts to force into registers.

So, that's kinda like saying try it and see!

(I have to say, I still don't understand why gcc 4.x won't build the
code - I mean, the qemu code does something that's fairly obviously a
little dodgy given the number of registers on x86 and the number of
variables it attempts to put into registers, but I don't understand why
gcc 4.x actually fails compilation, whereas gcc 3.x generates perfectly
working code, and has done for many years...)