ifupdown manual method support

Chey chey.smith at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 13:12:39 UTC 2006

On 1/19/06, Rob Landley <rob at landley.net> wrote:
> On Thursday 19 January 2006 14:20, Chey wrote:
> > All,
> >    I'm wondering if someone can help me in implementing the manual
> > method for the busybox ifupdown applet. I have attached a patch that
> > will supply the manual method to the inet address family. Although it
> > works for what I have used it for, I'm not sure if I'm going about it
> > the right way. I'm not much of a C programmer.
> >
> > I would eventually like to get this functionality added to busybox if
> > possible.
>
> You don't need two functions, you can reuse the same one twice.
>
> Query: What's this for?  (I don't use ifup or ifdown, I just ifconfig stuff
> directly...)

With a manual method you can supply your own commands to "up" the
interface. Or if you don't want to supply the interface with and IP
right away or at all, it works. I utilize the manual method often to
configure my wireless interfaces like the example below.

auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet manual
    pre-up iwconfig $IFACE channel 1 essid test

Using any other method will cause an error in this case.

> > Thanks,
> > Chey
>
> Rob
> --
> Steve Ballmer: Innovation!  Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word.
> I do not think it means what you think it means.

Thanks,
Chey